Thursday, April 5, 2012
Chocolate & Beetroot Fudge Cake by LittlePod
Chocolate & Beetroot Fudge Cake
250g dark chocolate, plus 150g for topping
3 medium free-range eggs
250g light muscovado sugar
1 tsp LittlePod vanilla paste
1 tsp LittlePod chocolate extract
4 tablespoons clear honey, plus 3 for the topping
40g self-raising flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
25g cocoa powder
50g ground almonds
250g raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated
100ml strong black coffee, plus 3 tablespoons for the topping
1 teaspoon LittlePod vanilla extract
30ml sunflower oil
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC, or a fan-assisted one to 140ºC and grease the surface of
a round, 20cm diameter tin with sunflower oil. Then slowly melt 250g chocolate in
a bowl over a pan of simmering water until all dissolved and set aside to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together with the sugar, LittlePod vanilla
paste, 4 tbsp honey and chocolate extract for three minutes until pale and fluffy.
Then, fold in the flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cocoa powder and ground
3. Pat the grated beetroot thoroughly with kitchen paper in order to remove some of
the excess moisture, then fold together the beetroot, cooled chocolate, coffee and oil
with the help of a spatula until completely combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and cook in the middle of the oven for 1
hour 30 minutes. Then cover the cake with foil and bake for a further 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
5. To make the topping, melt the remaining chocolate then remove from the heat to
add the coffee and the vanilla extract, and then the honey.Set aside for 15 minutes
before topping the cake.
6. Decorate however you wish! We think it looks beautiful with fresh, colourful
Happy Easter everyone!